22 Feb 2014

Bourjois Poudre de Riz de Java


So recently when I was trawling the aisles of Boots, the packaging of a little pot caught my eye. Let’s face it girls the 3 for 2 Boots offers are dragging us all in, I went in to buy a powder puff and walked out with a hell of a lot more. I should never be allowed near boots when that offer is on. Call me shallow if you like but when it comes to makeup nice packaging is SO important to me.

Bourjois Poudre de Riz de Java is a loose powder that is a reinvention of one of their most popular products from 1879.  The original Bourjois Java Rice Powder was designed to lighten skin and leave it silky-soft. It was hugely popular all over the world and in 1897 they sold 2 million boxes worldwide, with product information translated into 5 languages.

The new packaging has the same label as the original (which is what drew me in) but the modern twist it that it is in a plastic pot, rather than cardboard and the product inside is reformulated using modern technology. (If you're like me that won't really mean much to you, but shhhh don't tell anyone, I like to act smart).

These days the product promises to “light up and smooth the complexion in one step”. In Boots under they're harsh lights I was a little concerned by how sparkly the powder looked to use as a setting powder, the shiny disco ball look isn't one of my all-time favourites, but I decided to give it a go anyway.

The powder is light and smells of roses (what girl doesn't love the smell of roses). It has a twisting cover over a plastic lid with holes in, and you can just tap a little into the lid to use, be careful not to be too heavy handed as I have found the product comes out rather quickly and we don't like waste, especially not of such a lovely product.


I use it as a setting powder, using a powder puff, and I haven’t noticed it making my skin particularly sparkly (yay no disco ball). I think it brightens my skin and makes it look luminous, without being shiny, which is a nice effect.

I have read that this powder is a limited edition for Bourjois 150th Anniversary, so I might need to stockpile a few pots just in case it gets discontinued, hopefully it won’t because I really have fallen madly in love with this little pot of sparkly goodness.

Have you tried it, what are you thoughts?


9 comments:

  1. Is it like a powder foundation or just a setting powder xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a setting powder. It's really lovely. :)

      Xxx

      Delete
  2. This looks really interesting! I have joined your site, perhaps you could join mine too? x
    imogen-fleur.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a lovely product. I'm already following you sweetie. :)

      Xxx

      Delete
  3. I've had my eye on this too. I love the packaging. I'm sure I don't need it but like you said, 3 for 2 is so tempting!

    Jenn | PhotoJennic

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is worth buying it just to try it because at least then you have the beautiful packaging in your collection. :)

      Xxx

      Delete
  4. I went into boots today and was also taken in by their 3 for 2! haha and I'm the same about makeup packaging and design X

    http://istylethereforeiiwear.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very shallow of me but if a product has nice packaging i'm automatically drawn to it, more so than ones that are boring.

      Xxx

      Delete
  5. I wish I hadn't read that this was limited edition because now I REALLY want it and I'm supposed to be on a spending ban! I've actually managed to avoid the 3 for 2 offer so far, and I'm so proud of myself :D

    Lauren | laurenthedaydreamer.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete